Toronto police have identified a man and woman in their 20s as the victims of a shooting at a Toronto nightclub earlier this week. Shots were fired in two areas on the Exhibition Grounds approximately 3:20 a.m. Tuesday, police said. One of the shooting victims was fatally wounded inside Muzik nightclub, while the second was found just blocks away near the Dufferin Gates on the grounds.
The shootings occurred as the nightclub began to close down following an event hosted by rapper Drake in connection with his two-day music festival OVO Fest. In total, two people were killed, and three more were taken to hospital. One of the injured victims has since been released.
The victims have been identified by police as Duvel Hibbert, 23, of Brampton, and Ariela Navarro-Fenoy, 26, of Toronto. Hibbert was known to police. Sources told CTV Toronto’s Tamara Cherry he was a member of the Hot Heads Crew, a street gang from Malton. Prior to the nightclub shooting, Hibbert had appeared in court for a number of charges including assault, extortion and robbery. The 23-year-old was also serving a three-year sentence on a gun charge when he skipped out on his parole. My God rest your beautiful soul Ariela.
Residents of condominiums near the scene of the fire remain displaced and storefronts are still closed as firefighters continue to pour water on hot spots. But it is expected many will be allowed back as early as this evening.
- Dundas St. W. (416-760-9691)
- 150 King Street W, 416-916-0227
- 19th Wife byDavid Ebershoff
- Dundas Street West | 416-792-7511 | HoofCocktailBar.com
As long as the work continues as it has right now, most if not all of the buildings will be reoccupied sometime in the early evening today,â Deputy Fire Chief Jim Jessop said. We still have some air quality issues in some of the adjoining buildings and higher levels of carbon dioxide then we would like.
Pegg said electricity and natural gas service is disconnected in the area and won’t be restored until the buildings are deemed safe. He added that there was a large quantity of water near the scene of the fire that had infiltrated hydro vaults in the adjoining structures. VIDEO: Getting back to business after the midtown Toronto fire.
Tom Hayes reports. (Feb. I will tell you right now it is not suspicious,â Toronto Fire deputy chief Jim Jessop told reporters Wednesday afternoon. The Office of the Fire Marshall and Toronto Fire investigators continue their preliminary stages of the investigation.
At the height of the fire on Tuesday, more than 100 firefighters were dispatched to Yonge Street and St. Clair Avenue East to contain the massive blaze which destroyedThe Badminton & Racquet Club of Toronto. The inferno, which began just after 9 a.m., was eventually classified as a six-alarm fire with around 40 fire trucks on scene. No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.
I highly doubt there’s going to be a lot of salvageable building left there,â Pegg said, adding that the âdefensiveâ approach to the fire helped avert further damage. Adjacent buildings were evacuated and many residents had to make alternative arrangements for accommodations during the night.